Scotland's Joe Ansbro forced to retire from rugby
 

Scotland centre Joe Ansbro has been forced to retire from rugby following the neck break he suffered last summer.

The 27-year-old London Irish star sustained the injury while playing in a pre-season match in August.

Despite extensive rehabilitation, he has been advised on medical grounds to retire with immediate effect.

"Playing this great game at the highest level is a privilege and I will always look back on my career with fond memories," said Ansbro.

"I've been fortunate enough to play top-level rugby for both Northampton Saints and London Irish.

"To gain international recognition with Scotland has been an immense honour; victories over South Africa and Australia stand out.

"Thank you to all the players, coaches, staff and supporters of London Irish. I wish the club success in the future and look forward to watching the boys get off to a good start when September arrives.

"Thank you to everyone at Northampton Saints, the RPA and the wider rugby community for the support I received before and after my injury.

"Thank you also to all the supporters, players, coaches and staff at the SRU for making the responsibility of representing Scotland such an enjoyable experience.

"I'd especially like to thank James Peckitt and Doctor James Robson for helping me through a difficult rehabilitation process. Finally, thank you to my family, friends and agent for their continuing support and positive influence."

Ansbro scored three tries in his 11 Scotland appearances.

 

Comments

Sign in with your BBC iD, or Register to comment and rate comments

All posts are reactively-moderated and must obey the house rules.