New Wolves manager Dean Saunders relishing chance to prove himself at Molineux

Dean Saunders and Steve Morgan: New Wolves manager and chairman

Dean Saunders and Steve Morgan: New Wolves manager and chairman

Sky Bet

  • Football Betting

    • Retrieving latest Sky Bet odds
  • Football Betting

  • £10 Free Bet

    Claim your free bet now

New Wolves manager Dean Saunders is relishing the chance to inspire a revival at Molineux.

The 48-year-old left Doncaster to take the Wanderers reins following Stale Solbakken's dismissal, and inherits a side languishing in 18th place in the Championship and eliminated from both cup competitions.

But Saunders, who has signed a one-year rolling contract with Wolves, is confident he is ready to make the step up to higher expectations.

He told Sky Sports: "It's been a bit of a head-spinning 48 hours. I've made the decision and I'm pleased to be here and looking forward to the challenge now.

"I have to say, to be working for this club now and standing here in this great stadium for a club that have just come out of the Premier League with some really good quality players, I'm really excited and just want to get stuck into it."
Dean Saunders Quotes of the week

"You're interviewing me now but you didn't start there. You worked your way up and I'm the same. It took me five and a half years to do all my coaching badges and I worked for Blackburn for seven months for nothing.

"I cut my teeth as a manager at Wrexham and the stuff I learned there, I know I'm making the right decisions now because of that. Then, eventually, my father always told me that if you work hard, good things happen to you.

"I have to say, to be working for this club now and standing here in this great stadium for a club that have just come out of the Premier League with some really good quality players, I'm really excited and just want to get stuck into it.

"I've been a striker and you're always under pressure to get goals. I played for some massive clubs and when they've paid a big transfer fee for you, you've got to deliver. I'd rather be in that situation than not have any pressure.

"The pressure I've got is trying to get the result on Friday and I've got to work the puzzle out of how I'm going to get the players to do it. That's pressure I put on myself. Obviously there's a demand for results but that's part of being in football. If you don't win, you don't last very long."

"Dean is a really bubbly character. He's enthusiastic and has already got struck right into training. He's tough and anyone who thinks they'll get away with anything will be in for a rude awakening."
Steve Morgan Quotes of the week

Owner and chairman Steve Morgan was similarly enthused by the appointment, adding: "The reality is that Mick McCarthy was here for four and a half years and we want Dean to be here at least that long and hopefully a hell of a lot longer.

"Things have not worked out with Stale. The results and the performances were not acceptable for Wolves and we had no alternative but to make the change.

"Dean is a really bubbly character. He's enthusiastic and has already got struck right into training. He's tough and anyone who thinks they'll get away with anything will be in for a rude awakening."


Source : http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11699/8385044/New-Wolves-manager-Dean-Saunders-relishing-chance-to-prove-himself-at-Molineux