Six Nations: Scotland name Kelly Brown captain for Calcutta Cup
 

Kelly Brown has been named Scotland captain for their opening match of this year's Six Nations championship.

Brown, 30, who skippered Scotland during all three of the autumn Tests, has been endorsed by interim head coach Scott Johnson.

The Scots begin their campaign with the Calcutta Cup clash with England at Twickenham on 2 February.

Continue reading the main story

“It's a while since I've played against England, I'm raring to goKelly Brown

"We believe Kelly has the qualities we're looking for to captain Scotland," Johnson said of his back-row forward.

Explaining his decision, Scotland's interim head coach said captaincy "is about deed in my book and not Churchillian oratory".

Johnson added: "The knowledge and experience that Kelly brings to the Test match arena is good for this team.

"We are also looking at our leadership group and I'll be naming two vice-captains in the team that we announce tomorrow."

The 52-time capped Brown has not played against England since the corresponding match at Twickenham two years ago.

"As I said back in November, it's a huge honour to captain Scotland," said Brown. "The job now, though, is to work with all the other players in the squad to deliver a performance to make the country proud this weekend.

"It's a while since I've played against England. I missed out through injury in last year's Six Nations and I was sidelined during the Rugby World Cup match in Auckland as well, so I'm really raring to go."

 

Comments

Sign in with your BBC iD, or Register to comment and rate comments

All posts are reactively-moderated and must obey the house rules.