Pedro: “Scoring again was important for my confidence”

FOOTBALL

“Tito is putting a lot of faith in me, but I am far from having a guaranteed place in the first eleven”, said the Canary Islander

“He is probably the best player ever and it is a pleasure to share things with him”, he said about Leo Messi

"Messi is probably the best player ever and it’s a pleasure to be able to share things with him, so many finals, so many titles”

He had gone four months without scoring for Barça but on Sunday he was on target twice against Espanyol. Pedro Rodríguez told the press today that “I wanted to play well and help the team but the goals weren’t coming … I certainly was on a negative streak and scoring again was important for my confidence. I felt very comfortable the other day and I hope things carry on like that”.

He is especially grateful for the confidence shown by Tito Vilanova. “I am far from having a guaranteed place in the starting line-up. There are so many of us and a lot of competition for places. Now I’m lucky enough to be getting chances, but it’s the coach that decides … We have got the season off to a great start, playing well and creating plenty of chances that are helping us to score lots of goals”.

Best ever

Leo Messi won his fourth Ballon d’Or in a row on Monday, and Pedro Rodríguez described what it is like to play alongside the Argentine sensation. “He’s probably the best player ever and it’s a pleasure to be able to share things with him, so many finals, so many titles”, said the striker, adding that “he has achieved great things and I’m delighted that he won this award”.

As for his own hopes of one day receiving similar accolades, Pedro admitted that “anyone would want to win the Ballon d’Or. But you have to work very hard to do that.” On the coach of the year award, Pedro said “Del Bosque is a very proper person who gets his values across. He deserves the honour in recognition of his career”.