Te'o talks about one lie; report on flowers he sent

Bits of Katie Couric's interview with Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o are coming out

In a photo provided by ESPN, Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o pauses during an interview with ESPN on Friday, Jan. 18, 2013, in Bradenton, Fla. (Photo: Ryan Jones, AP)

Story Highlights
  • Katie Couric tapes first on-camera interview with Manti Te'o
  • Te'o did an off-camera interview last week with ESPN's Jeremy Schaap
  • Te'o says he didn't lie about hoax until December

    Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o has told Katie Couric that he briefly lied about his online girlfriend after discovering she didn't exist.

    Te'o said in an interview to air Thursday on Couric's show that he didn't lie about the hoax until December, believing Lennay Kekua had died of cancer. A segment of the interview with Te'o and his parents was broadcast Wednesday on ABC's Good Morning America.

    The Heisman Trophy runner-up received a phone call in December from a woman saying she was Kekua, whom he believed had died in September.

    TE'O: Complete coverage of the Te'o girlfriend hoax

    DUPED: Spiritual adviser spoke to girlfriend

    Te'o said, "Now I get a phone call on Dec. 6, saying that she's alive and then I'm going be put on national TV two days later. And to ask me about the same question. You know, what would you do?"

    Te'o maintained that he had no part in creating the hoax.

    "You stuck to the script. And you knew that something was amiss, Manti," Couric said.

    Te'o said: "Katie, put yourself in my situation. I, my whole world told me that she died on Sept. 12. Everybody knew that. This girl, who I committed myself to, died on Sept. 12."

    Wednesday, the New York Daily News published a story saying it obtained a receipt of flowers Te'o sent Sept.12, the day he believed Kekua had died, from 1-800-FLOWERS.com. It listed "Kainoa Kekua" as the recipient of "36 stems of premium white roses" sent by Te'o with a South Bend, Ind., address.

    DRAFT STOCK: NFL executives baffled by Te'o story

    The message, the newspaper reported, was: "My dearest Lennay, although our time together was brief, I feel like I've known you all of my life. Till we meet again. I love you, Manti."

    Te'o's family is included in the Couric interview. His father refuted reports that his son used the whole situation for personal gain, perhaps enhancing his prospects on the road to Heisman Trophy voting.

    "Now many people writing about this are calling your son a liar. They are saying he manipulated the truth, really for personal gain," Couric says.

    "People can speculate about what they think he is," a tearful Brian Te'o told Couric. "I've known him 21 years of his life. And he's not a liar. He's a kid."