Lance Armstrong and Oprah Winfrey II: Live updates

This Monday, Jan. 14, 2013 photo provided by Harpo Studios Inc., shows talk-show host Oprah Winfrey interviewing cyclist Lance Armstrong during taping for the show "Oprah and Lance Armstrong: The Worldwide Exclusive" in Austin, Texas. The two-part episode of "Oprah's Next Chapter" will air nationally Thursday and Friday, Jan. 17-18, 2013. (Credit: George Burns, Harpo Studios via AP) ORG XMIT: CX101 (Photo: George Burns Harpo Studios via AP)

Tags
  • Lance Armstrong
  • France
  • Joy Behar
  • Oprah Winfrey

    Lance Armstrong's two-part interview with Oprah Winfrey finishes Friday night on OWN. Join us at 9 p.m. ET for live commentary and reaction throughout the 90-minute interview.

    You can find OWN on your channel lineup by clicking here. Oprah.com will also be streaming the interview.

    9:35 p.m. ET -- Commercial for a Lisa Ling special about S&M. She asks an enthusiast about how she deals with pain. I guess she'd know; she hosted The View with Joy Behar for four years.

    9:31 p.m. ET -- Best question of the night. Oprah reminds Lance how he said he wouldn't have won his seven Tour de France titles without doping. If he believed that, did he really expect to win when he came back "clean" in 2010? "Yes," Lance said. He didn't add the "I'd by lying if I said" caveat.

    9:28 p.m. ET -- "She believes the truth will set you free," Lance says of his first wife. "We believe differently on a lot of things," he finishes, without a trace of irony.

    9:26 p.m. ET -- "I'd be lying if I said," Lance begins. I'd complete the quote, but it really doesn't matter, does it?

    9:21 p.m. ET -- Lance is asked about the picture he tweeted of him laying around with his seven yellow jerseys. He's still really, really, proud of it, despite his statements to the contrary.

    9:18 p.m. ET -- "I think I deserve it," Lance says of his right to run in things like the Austin 10K and Chicago Marathon. "I deserve to be punished, I don't think I deserve the death penalty." Spoken like a man on death row.

    9:16 p.m. ET -- Oprah: "What do you say to those millions of people who believed?" Armstrong: "I say I understand your anger, your sense of betrayal. Um, you supported me forever, uh, through all this, and you believed and I lied to you. And I'm sorry. I will spend -- I will spend, and I am committed to spending, as long as I have to to make amends, knowing full well I won't get many back."

    9:15 p.m. ET -- Oprah shows a video of Lance during a 2005 deposition saying he doesn't care about money, just the support of "hundreds of millions of people." When she turns to Lance after the clip ends, Oprah's "come on, dude" says it all. She didn't even need to ask a question.

    9:14 p.m. ET -- "I don't -- I don't think so," Lance says when Oprah asks whether he thinks his use of PEDs contributed to his original cancer diagnosis.

    9:08 p.m. ET -- Stepping down from Livestrong was his most humbling moment. Oh, I think he'll have a different opinion after getting up from this interview.

    9:07 p.m. ET -- It's Friday night. If Lance drew 3.2 million on Thursday, the most-watched TV night of the week, tonight's number will be considerably lower. Going on OWN was a calculated risk: Armstrong must have hoped he'd have a lot of viewers watch him while Oprah gave him a sympathetic interview. She's dont anything but. He probably would have been better to go on 60 Minutes after the AFC championship and getting 25 million viewers to hear all his excuses. Then again, maybe not.

    9:05 p.m. ET -- Oprah says Livestrong has raised over $500 million for cancer research. "It was the best thing for the organization," Lance says of leaving, "but it hurt like hell."

    9:02 p.m. ET -- The most emotional Lance has been over the past 92 minutes is when he talks about Nike dumping him. I hope you can sleep well tonight, Phil Knight.

    9:00 p.m. ET -- "Do you feel dis-graced," Oprah asks, oddly cutting the word into two. "Of course," Lance says, as if he's heard a similar question be-fore.

    8:57 p.m. ET -- Amtrak recently released a study saying the odds of seeing two train wrecks in your lifetime are very slim. Not if you're watching Lance and Oprah again tonight!

    8:52 p.m. ET -- The first part of the Lance/Oprah interview attracted 3.2 million viewers to OWN on Thursday night. For comparison's sake, that's 1.9 million less viewers than watched the critically-reviled and quickly-canceled drama Mob Doctor on Fox. And 300,000 more people watched OWN last year when Oprah interviewed Whitney Houston's daughter. As a result, look for Oprah to try to work in questions about Bobby Brown, The Bodyguard and cocaine tonight.
    Source : http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/18/lance-armstrong-and-oprah-winfrey-ii-live-updates/1846823/