Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy drank coffee through interlocked arms (PHOTO)

Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy drink coffee during a photo shoot ahead of the Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship. (Photo: Matthew Lewis, Getty Images)

Tags
  • Tiger Woods
  • Abu Dhabi
  • Rory McIlroy

    If you thought this photo of Tiger Woods and Rory McIlroy drinking coffee through interlocked arms in Abu Dhabi was delightfully awkward, you'll love some of the quotes from the joint press conference of the new Nike teammates. Here are some of the highlights of the chat, in which the golfers try and see who can be more convincing about their blooming friendship and the complete lack of lingering feelings of intimidation or resentment.

    Rory McIlroy

    "Before this time last year, we would say hello in passing but not really anything else."

    Judging by the way Rory said this, I think he meant to say "I" instead of "we" and forgot to add "then Tiger would look through me like I was Hank Haney" after the word "passing."

    "I think once Tiger gets to know you and trusts you, I guess, and lets you in, then it's great."

    You know what's great? That new Nike commercial. Watch it again.

    "We get on really well. We share the same interests."

    For Caroline Wozniacki's sake, I hope not.

    Tiger Woods

    "We've certainly hit it off."

    In addition to saying hello in passing, they're also waving it from afar. Baby steps.

    "Our relationship has grown and our friendship has gotten better."

    Seriously, did they pull these lines directly from a transcript of The Bachelor?

    Rory McIlroy

    "We are both big sports fans and that's sort of the bulk of our conversations, about sport."

    That sounds like every single conversation with husbands of my wife's friends. If those are any indication, the Rory/Tiger chats must be awwwwwkward.

    Tiger Woods

    "We've just had a good time. Certainly give each other the needle quite a bit. That's always fun."

    Rory McIlroy

    "It's great to just spend time with him and pick his brain about a few things if I feel I need to."

    And the needling. Don't forget the needling.

    "I think he respects me for what I've done on the golf course, too."

    Tiger nods, while thinking, "just as soon as you win 12 more majors, curly."
    Source : http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/01/15/tiger-woods-rory-mcilroy-lock-arms/1836189/