Freddie Burns targets Gloucester return before England recall

Freddie Burns has said returning from injury for Gloucester takes priority over earning a recall for England.

The 22-year-old was named in Stuart Lancaster's 33-man Six Nations squad but picked up a knee injury two weeks before the opening game with Scotland.

Fly-half Burns is set to return to club action against Bath on Friday, and could also be available for England's last two games against Italy and Wales.

"It's back to square one for me," he told BBC Gloucestershire.

Burns' boot

Freddie Burns has kicked 68 penalties and 26 conversions in 17 games for Gloucester this season. He is the second-highest points scorer in the Premiership behind Harlequins' Nick Evans

"It was a big blow to get injured and miss most of the tournament. I'm available for the next two games but I'll only have one match before then to prove my fitness.

"I haven't written off the Six Nations because I want to help the boys if needed, but firstly I need to get fit and then it's about performing for Gloucester on Friday.

"That's my focus at the moment. I'll sort out what I do for Gloucester and if it means a call-up for England, then great. If not, then I'll just keep working hard for the club."

Burns earned his first international call-up during the Autumn series last year - making his debut as a replacement in the famous 38-21 victory over New Zealand.

And he displayed the same kicking quality he has shown in the Premiership by landing two penalties in the final 14 minutes.

But after damaging his medial ligaments during the Amlin Challenge Cup win over Mont de Marsan in January, Burns has been forced to miss out on both domestic and international fixtures.

Chris Ashton scores England's second try

Highlights from Burns' England debut in the 38-21 win against New Zealand

"It's frustrating to be watching, especially when you know when the three or four games are season defining for Gloucester," he added.

"You want to be there but when you're on the touchline you can't really help.

"But I've trained all week and it feels good - I'm ready for Friday if I'm called upon."

Burns is set to make his comeback against west country rivals Bath - his hometown club.

"I was born two miles from the stadium and I used to sneak in to games, jump over the fence and go and stand in the crowd to watch West Country derbies," he said.

"Playing at the Rec is something I dreamed of as a kid - not in a Cherry and White shirt but things have changed.

"I just want to do my best because it means so much to the supporters."