Jonny Wilkinson to play on for Toulon next season

Former England fly-half Jonny Wilkinson is set to play on next season after taking the advice of Toulon team-mates Matt Giteau and Frederic Michalak.

The 33-year-old was considering retirement before undergoing successful groin surgery in January.

But Giteau and Michalak have helped to convince him to carry on.

Wilkinson in numbers
  • Second youngest England international at 18 years and 314 days
  • Total of 277 points at Rugby World Cups is 50 more than anyone else
  • England won 67 of the 91 Tests Wilkinson played
  • Finished with a record 1,179 points for England

    "These are guys for whom I have such great respect. They were really honest and I got the impression that they wanted me there," he told the Times. 

    "These are guys who play inside and outside me and both play in my position too, so there is no better position to have to see if they think I am doing a good job."

    Wilkinson, who joined Toulon from Newcastle in 2009, kicked the winning drop-goal in the 2003 World Cup final and retired from international rugby in 2011 after winning 91 caps.

    He admits he was considering ending his career as he battled injury problems at the turn of the year before a minor groin procedure allowed him to train properly again.

    Wilkinson, who faces Leicester in the Heineken Cup quarter-finals next Sunday, 7 April, added: "I didn't know if it was going to work, but it has given me the ability to go out and work hard, to recover and go again.

    "From November through to January, I was thinking: end of career."

    Wilkinson would relish the chance of a third British and Irish Lions tour when Warren Gatland's squad travel to Australia this summer but is not expecting to be selected.

    He said: "The Lions is so exciting. I would certainly welcome the opportunity, though I'm not sure why my name would be mentioned.

    "I'm not thinking, 'I'm in with a shout'. The young guys in international rugby are the ones taking the sport forward."