Martinez ducks 'media war' over duo

Martinez ducks 'media war' over duo

Martinez ducks 'media war' over duo

Everton manager Roberto Martinez is refusing to get involved in a war of words with predecessor David Moyes over the futures of Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini.

Moyes, now manager at Manchester United, has suggested the careers of the pair could be damaged if they are not allowed to move to Old Trafford.

Everton this week rejected a joint £28million bid for left-back Baines and midfielder Fellaini as "derisory and insulting".

Martinez, speaking after his side's goalless draw with West Brom in the Barclays Premier League, said: "I think my comment is quite clear.

"If managers start talking about players who are registered at other clubs, that is the end of the whole thing. I think everyone should look after their own things internally.

"I am sure they have got many issues in the same manner and I could easily come out and give my opinions about these players but I will be more respectful than that.

"Everyone has got a price (but) when you invest money in a player and five years later you get offered the same money after performing really well, that becomes a little bit of a nonsense.

"The last thing I want is to get into a media war with a manager I really respect."

Baines joined the Toffees from Wigan for £6million in 2007 with Fellaini arriving from Standard Liege for £15million the following year.

Everton are now bracing themselves for an improved offer from United for the pair but Martinez is determined to keep them and insists there is no set price where they will begin talks.



Source : http://www.football.co.uk/everton/martinez_ducks__media_war__over_duo_rss4379432.shtml